Our Journey Home

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Serving Others

This past Sunday morning, the sermon was about humble service. It was a message that really encourgaed me, but also convicted me of the yucky within my heart. Our associate pastor preached about our motives for serving. Sometimes we serve others for recognition or to recieve glory. Other times we serve out of duty- it is our responsibility therefore we complete the task. Sometimes we serve out of need; we recognize the need for volunteers/ a helping hand/ etc so it is only then that we offer up our time or skills. But we should serve others as Jesus served- out of love. In humble service. Wow. As a wife and a mommy of a six year old, a three year old, and a six week old newborn, I must admit... I often times serve my family out of duty or need. If I am being totally honest with myself (and if I'm being totally honest with you, wink) I would have to admit that there are days when I'm on auto-pilot and I'm not serving with love- I am only going through the motions. I was convicted when I heard this message because I don't want to simply 'get the job done'. I want to bless and intentionally serve my precious family out of love. I am praying that the Lord will continue to refine me in this area. I have so much to learn!
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall note perish but have eternal life."- John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment