Our Journey Home

Friday, July 29, 2011

Refining

I cried yesterday. Several times. I cried overwhelmed tears, happy tears, and I-don't-know-what -is-wrong-with-me tears. wink.
I know that the Lord is refining me right now. It's a hard season... I would be fibbing if I told you otherwise. Please don't misunderstand me; it's also a season filled with blessings and the Lord's presence. Refining is hard and sometimes the sanctification process hurts, but that certainly doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I read the following devotion about refining and it really encouraged me. I hope it will bless you, too!
(Scripture reference- Malachi 3:2-3)
"There was a group of women in a Bible study discussing the book of Malachi. As they were studying chapter three they came across a verse which says, "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." This verse puzzled the women and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God.
One of the women offered to find out about the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible study meeting. That week the woman called up a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest in silver beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver. As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that, in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest so as to burn away all the impurities.
The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot. She asked the silversmith if he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined. The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes of the silver the entire time it was in the fire. For if the silver was left even a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.
The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, 'How do you know when the silver has been fully refined?' He smiled at her and answered, 'Oh, that's the easy part- when I can see my own image reflected in it.' "

Through the Word, I am reminded that the Lord will never give me more than I can bear, and He will never leave me. I am so thankful that God continues to refine me and grow me in His image. I really want there to be less Sarah, and more Jesus in my life. Even when I'm uncomfortable, I pray I will rejoice in the assurance that this season is what the Lord has planned for me... and He knows what is the very best. Have a wonderful weekend! "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever."- Psalm 136:1

No comments:

Post a Comment