Our Journey Home

Friday, November 26, 2010

Our Prayer Journal

Almost two years ago, I started a prayer journal. Every week, I date the top of the page "Week of _____". On one side of the page I write "praises" and on the back, I write "prayer requests". Originally, I started this journal so I wouldn't forget the prayer requests of our friends and family. If I told someone, "We'll be praying for you!"- I wanted to be faithful to that commitment and not forget about their prayer request after our conversation had ended. (That gives you a little glimpse into this mommy's ability to remember things! wink! I have to write myself notes constantly!) Along with my Bible, I use my prayer journal during my quiet time each day. Before I pray, I can reread the prayer requests for the week, and reflect on the praises.

This prayer journal has been such a great tool. It has kept such an amazing record of the Lord's faithfulness throughout each year! (If you've never kept a journal, I encourage you to start this habit! It only takes me a few minutes each day- I usually just record a bulletin point or two each day...and that one page starts to really fill up by the end of a week! Years from now, I'd love for our girls to look back over the prayers and praises we've recorded for them.) Today, I looked back to my entries last November and my heart was filled with thanksgiving. God has certainly stretched us and drawn us closer to Him over the last twelve months! In John 15, Jesus says, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." I can rejoice as I look back at the trials and the discomfort I have felt at times throughout this past year, because God has been busy cutting away at my pride, my idols, my areas of complacency, and put simply- my sinful nature. (Whew- and God still has a LONG way to go with my pruning! But He is so loving and I know He'll never turn away from me and all my weeds!) And oh my goodness- I rejoiced at the blessings we've recieved this year!

ps- Nana sent our girls some new jammies and they were thrilled! We took a few pictures with 'pretend' hot chocolate. I love the first picture of Wubs blowing on her pretend drink to cool it off!

"For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."- Psalm 103:11-12



1 comment:

  1. I really like your prayer journal idea. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) for a long time to figure out something that works for me. :( I'm excited to try your idea. I pray this is it! ;)

    ReplyDelete