Our Journey Home

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Along came a spider

On Sunday morning our family was sitting in "big church", listening as our senior pastor preached a powerful message, when along came a spider. Wubs was the first to spot it...a daddy long legs. She whispered the news to Bella, who was seated on my lap, and both girls muffled their giggles. I could tell that the girls were intently focused on the spider; neither of them were moving a single muscle! Then, the spider slooowly began to creep closer. Wubs let out a little gasp and Bella pulled her knees up to her chest. As much as I wanted the girls to listen to God's Word, they were distracted. That itty bitty spider was causing us to lose our focus.
Isn't that daddy long legs just like the sin we can allow to creep into our lives? Satan is crafty; he can use even the smallest distraction to take our eyes off of Christ, if we allow him to do so. I was reminded how easily we can stop listening to the message of the gospel and become fixated on something other than Truth.
It is my prayer that every day, I will choose to live for Christ. I know my sinful flesh can be distracting, so I need to intentionally choose Jesus. I pray my eyes will always see His hand, my ears will always hear His voice, and my heart will always long for His ways. I am praying that we will disciple and train our children in such a way that they will desire to squash the 'spiders'- the sin that tries to creep into their hearts.
 
Our girls love to put on plays! This was a fairy play, acted out by Wubs, Bella, and Gracie.

"Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God."- 2 Corinthians 7:1

No comments:

Post a Comment