Our Journey Home

Monday, May 13, 2013

learning Truth with Bella

All three of our children need structure, but I've noticed that Bella enjoys routine and consistency the most.  Bella loves being given specific tasks and then completing those jobs to the very best of her ability. She is excited to do crafts, she wants to do chores, and she is always looking for ways to be my little helper.I have no doubt that the Lord has big plans for Bella, and He will use her drive and energy for His glory!
 
All that to say, Bella's strong desire to complete tasks can also cause her a lot of frustration when things do not go as planned. Last week, Bella was working on an eleborate project with fuse beads. (Fuse beads are these tiny tube shaped beads that can be arranged on a template and then heated with an iron. The hot iron melts the beads and they adhere together in the shape of the template.) Bella was trying to make a dog with the fuse beads and she had been working on her project for nearly a half an hour. The two of us were alone in the kitchen, Bella at the table with her beads while I prepared lunch. Suddenly, I heard Bella let out a gasp and then a groan. I turned to look and I saw her sad eyes staring at the table. She had bumped the template and the beads had scattered everywhere.
 
I walked over to the table and  I sat down next to her. "Uh, oh! Can I help you put the beads back on your dog?"
"Mommy! This makes me so mad! I was almost done! This always happens to me!"
I began picking up the beads and putting them on the dog-shaped template. "You know what? Sometimes this same thing happens to me. Sometimes I work really hard and then, before I know it, all my work falls apart! But you know what? I can always trust that God does what is best for me, and He will always help me."
"That's not where the brown beads go, mommy. Those beads were for the ears! But... maybe my dog can have brown paws and white ears? That would be so cute!"- Bella thoughtfully studied the new dog that we were assembling together.
"I think brown paws would be super cute! Hmmm. I think that's why sometimes God allows mommy's work to fall apart, because when He puts it back together, it's always much better! God's ways are so much better than my ways."
 
Together, we finished Bella's dog and our teamwork was a sweet little memory!  I am so thankful that the Lord uses all things for our good, including our mistakes and our troubles. I love it when God blesses our days with teachable moments... because while I'm training our children, I am also learning and being reminded of His Truth!
 

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."- Jeremiah 29:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment