Our Journey Home

Thursday, May 30, 2013

the beautiful tears



A few weeks ago, we were hosting a playdate when a little 'incident' occurred. I was outside with all six children so we could enjoy a popsicle and playtime in our backyard. Everything was going great until...Bella walked too close to Wubs while she was swinging. It was only an accident, but Bella was bumped by her big sister. Bella reacted to the bump by slapping Wubs on her back. I have to confess- for a second, I almost dismissed it because we were all having such a good time together. It would have been so easy to ignore it or ask Bella to say "I'm sorry" just to go through the motions. But the Holy Spirit nudged me and I knew I shouldn't allow this teachable moment to slip by. So I took Bella inside the house to my bedroom and I asked her questions, to get her thinking about what had just happened. "Why did we come inside?"  "Did Wubs mean to bump into you?"  "Did you mean to hit Wubs?" And then, I told her that I understand. (Bella looked a bit baffled at me when I told her I understood! wink. ) I told her that sometimes, I get angry when something unexpected happens... just like a bump from the swings. Sometimes I am so quick to get angry or upset that I react and then I make a mistake and I sin against others and I sin against God. But God can use ALL things for His Glory, even when I make mistakes! I continued by explaining,  "God uses those same mistakes to remind me how much I need a Savior. Jesus died for my sins, and He died for your sins, too." Bella was hanging on my every word. Her little face softened and a tear trickled down her cheek. I asked her if I could pray for her and she held out both hands. I prayed and I thanked God for Bella's "beautiful tears"... tears from a heart that is sorry for sinning against her sister and tears that remind me how very much we all need Jesus. When we finished praying, she gave me a little smile. Then, Bella asked me, "Mommy, are my tears really beautiful?"  wink. I told her yes, that her tears were beautiful because her heart was broken over her sin; when we can see our sin and understand how we desperately need a Savior, it is such a beautiful thing! She thought about my response for a moment and then she said, "We need to tell daddy about my beautiful tears, right, Mama!" Sweet baby girl. I love her so much.

 We are so thankful for the work that the Lord is doing within Bella and we are continuing to pray for her salvation!

"Salvation is found in no one else,for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."- Acts 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment