Our Journey Home

Monday, September 26, 2011

Teachable Moments

If I had to pick my favorite part of homeschool, it would definately be all the teachable moments we get to share! While I love our curriculum, our read alouds, and our projects, it is teachable moments- those unexpected and unprepared events- that seem to always help our children to learn in ways that I could have never planned. God really blesses us with these opportunities and it is so fun to watch Him at work! Not only does God know when these little 'teachable moments' are going to take place- He designed them!
Last week, we needed to go to the grocery store to pick up about a dozen items. At the last minute I decided to teach the girls about grocery shopping. It was the perfect opportunity to take an every day task and make it a learning experience. I made little lists for each of them (I doodled little pictures of the items for Bella since she can't read) so they could be my helpers. They were THRILLED with this idea, to say the least! wink! I had some cash so I was able to show them our budget for our groceries. The girls each carried a basket and they found the items on their lists. I modeled how to look at the prices of the various items so we could get the best deals. We even had a few dollars left over for some candy corn. Our shopping trip took about an extra fifteen minutes but it was well worth it!

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"-2 Corinthians 6:17

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are Super Woman!! 3 kids in the store on your own, and you allow 2 of them to shop. Wow! What a great idea! I love the picture with their purses! Little Mommas:)

    ReplyDelete