Our Journey Home

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Baking soda tasks

I love to bake! I especially love baking with our girls.  Cookies are our specialty! I love little hands pouring vanilla and measuring flour, twinkling eyes watching as eggs crack, the whirring of the blender, and eager cookie dough taste testers. But when we are mixing the cookies, I have to remind myself to add the baking soda. It's an ingredient that I have nearly overlooked many times! Just a teaspoon, is it really necessary? Absolutely.
The baking soda, even though it seems like an unimpressive ingredient, has a very special purpose! A teaspoonful of this simple powdery substance allows our cookies to rise while baking, and our treats simply wouldn't be the same without it. It has a purpose. It is needed.
I confess, I can become discouraged when I'm completing my every day responsibilities, or my  'baking soda tasks'. Some days, when my repetitive jobs seem unimpressive- wiping the floor, folding the laundry,  unloading the dishwasher, emptying the garbage, wiping the floor again, folding more laundry, reloading the dishwasher, wink- I am reminded by the Holy Spirit that even these small tasks matter.("Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord,"-Colossians 3:23) God can use all things for His glory, including my seemingly simple chores. When I am serving the Lord by taking care of our home and  serving my family, my baking soda tasks don't seem so unimportant after all!

ps- And because I know Nana will be sad if I don't include a picture of the children, look who is driving the grocery cart! We stopped by the store to pick up a few items for church, and we had so much fun, allowing JJ to sit like a big boy! Bella loved this riding with JJ, and Wubs wanted to push the cart! Everyone is growing up too fast...
"For everyone sho exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."- Luke 18:14b

1 comment:

  1. What a great post, Sarah! Yes, even the "baking soda" tasks are important in the baking of everyday life :) Such a needed reminder! Love all your cuties in the store!

    ReplyDelete