Our Journey Home

Monday, August 20, 2012

My Southern belle mishap...

I was not raised in the south. In our nine years of marriage, we have lived in South Carolina, Georgia, and North Carolina. Some aspects of living in the south have come easy; I think I may even have  a little bit of an accent! wink.  However, last night, we laughed and laughed at my lack of southern roots. That is, we laughed after we put out the fire. Let me tell you all about it...
 David had gone to the grocery store with JJ and he called me to suggest that we make some fried okra and fried green tomatoes. He asked me to put some oil on the stove so it would be ready when he returned from the store with cornmeal. Now, before you read any further, let me just tell you that I have never fried anything in all the years we have been married. I love love love to cook, but I am a baker, not a hot grease kind of gal! wink.
So, I got out a medium sized pot, filled it with vegetable oil and set it on the stove to heat. I decided I had better put on the lid so the oil wouldn't pop and splatter. *gulp* I'm guessing many of you know where this is going...
When David got home, I put JJ in his jammies and reported to David that I was pretty sure the oil would be good and ready! David grabbed a hot pad and opened the lid. FLAMES! Giant flames shot up from the pot!! The hot pad caught on fire and David dropped the lid and hot pad into our sink. David then quickly grabbed towel to pick up the lid and replace it on the pot. SMOKE! Smoke filled our house as we scurried to open every window and fan the smoke detectors. My eyes were watering from the billowing smoke that was streaming out of the pot. I grabbed a towel and a hot pad and took the pot out to our deck. About ten minutes later, David went to see if the oil had cooled off, but as you can see, it was still pretty warm. wink.
Lesson learned- Fried food is bad for you. And it is even worse if I cook it for you! ha ha!

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."- Romans 12:12

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! So thankful you all are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two words my sweet friend: Fry Daddy. It works wonderfully for those southern things. ;)

    ReplyDelete