Our Journey Home

Monday, January 24, 2011

Confessions of a Do-It-All Mama


It's true... I confess. I am a do-it-all kind of mama. I'm the mommy that makes the beds, dresses the children, picks up the toys, cleans up the dishes... the list goes on and on. Of course, I invite the girls to 'be my helpers' and we do lots of little tasks together, but as far as true responsibilities or chores specifically assigned for Wubs and Bella- well, that just hasn't been happening. The Holy Spirit really impressed on my heart that I need to train our girls to be keepers of the home, and whew- I was convicted! I guess sometimes I have been the do-it-all mommy because I didn't think the girls were capable of the task, or perhaps I wanted it done a particular way, or maybe it was just faster to complete the chore on my own, but whatever the case... I was blowing this precious time of instruction with our children!


So starting last Thursday (after a prayerful pep talk from my mentor) I began teaching the girls household tasks and then- here's the clencher- I have been allowing them to complete the chore! And I haven't been going behind them to do it better...instead, I have been praising them and encouraging their sweet efforts! It's been wOnDeRfUl to see their smiles as they proudly stand beside lumpy beds and hear their squeals of accomplishment after changing the empty toilet paper tubes. It's been fun to teach them my somewhat mundance household chores because it makes it more exciting for me, too! Their eyes light up as I'm explaining how to clean the dryer's lint trap and I realize that we've all been missing out! wink!


Yes, our kitchen floors have a few missed crumbs after sweeping and Bella did wear her socks inside out today, but the Lord is certainly blessing our efforts to work together as a family to take care of this home He has given us! I look forward to updating our blog with lots of new skills that our girls have acquired in the weeks to come! It's always a new adventure at our house as we seek the Lord's will for our lives.

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and wordly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope- the glorious appearing of the great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."- Titus 3:11-14

3 comments:

  1. Please do share! I know we discussed this at lunch but not in much detail. Landon has to put his dirty clothes in the hamper, keep his cup in the fridge, and I've been working with him on feeding the animals. We've also started the task of cleaning up one toy/activity before moving on to another. I only vacuum since we have hardwoods. So I'd be interested to know what you're letting the girls do to get some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about this post today! I saw the empty toilet paper roll still on the dispenser with the new roll sitting on the counter, thought of you and decided to have Ava take care of it. SARAH, she said "oh, I didnt know that thing came off". GASP. That was an oops mommy moment. How would she know if I never taught her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post and can so relate! Sometimes I have to just shut the door to their rooms after they make their own beds, etc. That way my overbearing tendencies are less likely to come out!! :)
    Thanks for your sweet comments and I most certainly will look for some fabulous maternity fashion. Although I highly doubt you could look terrible in anything!!!

    ReplyDelete