Our Journey Home

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Craving

Being a pregnant mommy, I know a thing or two about cravings! I've craved different foods in all our pregnancies, but this time around, I'd have to say my top two indulgences have been egg nog and grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in ketchup. (But I'm not drinking the egg nog to wash down the grilled cheese dipped in ketchup. I do have some boundaries, friends! wink!)

I was listening to a talk show on my favorite radio station yesterday morning, and the featured guest was an author named Lysa TerKeurst. She has a book study out right now called Made to Crave. She was talking about how God designed each one of us with the ability to crave. Her book is specifically written about food cravings and tools for weight management, but God used that talk show to prompt some questions in my own heart. It got me thinking about the things I crave... and not just food. There are times when I crave sleep, a family vacation, caffeine, or even some extra time during the day.

Although our Heavenly Father created us with the ability to crave, He also made us incapable of being truly satisfied by anything other than Him. He alone can quench my longings, or cravings, and only the Lord is sufficient to meet ALL my needs. Even when I do get a Sunday afternoon nap or I get to enjoy a bowl of peanut butter cup ice-cream, I'll always be left wanting more if I am trying to depend on aNyThInG other than Jesus to fill me up.

What do you crave? Is it 'me time'? Chocolate? The latest, greatest gadget? God already knows the desires of our hearts... and He also already has exactly what we need to be satified!



"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."- Psalm 73:26

No comments:

Post a Comment