Our Journey Home

Monday, January 31, 2011

Do I have to be a fancy girl?



**This picture was taken the other day, after I got through cleaning out our tubs of baby girl clothes. There were four empty containers after all the sorting was complete, and our creative little Wubs made herself this cozy 'dog cage'. She played inside that tub for most of the morning! Here she is, enjoying her string cheese 'bone'. She is so funny!**

I don't have a cell phone. At first it was a big adjustment, but now, I absolutely LOVE it. I feel like I pay more attention to the road (and I need all the help I can get- I have been in many fender benders, wink!) but best of all, I have lots of good conversations with the girls while we are driving. Yesterday morning, on our way to my children's ministry meeting, Wubs asked me a precious question:

"Mommy, you know how I love animals?"

"Yes, baby. I know you loooove animals!"

"Well, you know how I'm going to get big one day? I was thinking... I don't really want to be a fancy girl. 'Cause big girls like fancy shoes and fancy clothes and stuff like that, but I just really love animals. Do I have to be a fancy girl?"

(I have to admit, my heart sank a little bit at this question. Her voice was so sincere and concerned. It made me sad to think that our five year old little girl, even at such a young age, recognizes that our culture has already been teaching her to conform to the world.)

"Wubs, you love animals, because that is how God made you! God makes some little girls who love to color, some little girls who love to ride bicycles, some little girls who love to play dress up, and some little girls who love animals! You don't need to be a fancy girl if that isn't what God put inside your heart. God put a wonderful love for animals inside your heart and that makes you very special."

"Really? I'm so glad I get to love animals forever!" Wubs sat back and smiled at me through the rearview mirror.

We pulled into the church parking lot, both relieved we had cleared that up. wink!

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- his good, pleasing and perfect will."- Romans 12:2






No comments:

Post a Comment