Our Journey Home

Monday, April 25, 2011

It wasn't the nails...




Our wonderful daddy wasn't home tonight for our bedtime routine, and it's never the same without him! I have to admit... I was really tired while I was putting the girls to bed. We had a busy weekend- a sweet visit from Papa and Nana, an Easter egg hunt, and church activities-so today we worked hard to get back into our daily schedule. I knew Emma Grace and Bella were exhausted; I considered skipping our 'regular' bedtime routine, but we pressed on. And I'm SO glad that we did. Even though I was pooped, the Lord really blessed that extra ten minutes with our precious girls. It's ALWAYS worth it when we take the time to share God's word and truth with our children.




It just so happens that are reading about the crucifixion in our Jesus Storybook Bible. We have been talking about Jesus' death on the cross and His ressurection almost daily during this Easter season. Even though the girls know this story, they were hanging on every word. I watched their little faces as I read about the Roman soldiers that whipped, beat, and spit on Jesus. Emma Grace was heartbroken when we read about the crown made of sharp thorns, and Bella was so sad that nails were driven into Jesus' hands and feet. But then, I read something that really caught their attention...




"Father, forgive them," Jesus gasped. "They don't understand what they're doing."


"You say you've come to rescue us!" people shouted. "But you can't even rescue yourself!"


But they were wrong. Jesus could have rescued himself. A legion of angels would have flown to his side- if he'd called.


"If you were really the Son of God, you could just climb down off that cross!" they said.



And of course they were right. Jesus could have just climbed down. Actually, he could have just said a word and made it all stop. Like when he healed that little girl. And stilled the storm. And fed 5,000 people. But Jesus stayed. You see, they didn't understand. It wasn't the nails that kept Jesus there. It was love.



Jesus could have stopped it all... but He loved us too much. We have read the Easter story many times but we have never discussed this aspect. We had a wonderful discussion about Jesus' love for us, and His choice to give His life to rescue us. Reading this beautiful, true love story certainly humbled me and my 'sacrifice' to take the time to read aloud and have a eternally meaningful converstion with our girls, rather than just put them straight to bed so I could rest after a long day. After this time with our girls, I felt refreshed and encouraged. His perfect love teaches me how to love others.


"The Sovereign Lord will wipe away all the tears from all the faces."- Isaiah 25:8

No comments:

Post a Comment