Our Journey Home

Friday, October 26, 2012

the sweetest gift

Bella was busy coloring a picture when I noticed that our preschooler had written 'Hello Kitty' on her paper.
"Baby!! You wrote 'Hello Kitty'! Wow!"
"I tried my best to write the letters just like on my notebook! And mama, guess what? I am going to put some tape on my penny and tape it to my picture!" (Bella found a penny on the ground earlier this week and that little coin has been her special treasure! She had some big plans for that penny! wink.)
"Why do you want to tape your penny to your picture?"
Bella lowered her voice and whispered, "Because I'm going to give this picture to Wubs. AND she can keep my penny!"

I gave Bella a big hug, and I felt my eyes tear up. Bella doesn't know the value of a penny; she has no idea that it's only worth one cent. All she knows is that pennies are money. That one little penny was all the money she had. But she wanted to give it away, as a gift for her big sister. That blessed my heart!

I was reminded of one of my favorite Bible stories, the widow's offering, in the book of Luke. "As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple trasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "I tell you the truth," he said,  "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."- Luke 21:1-4 

 I love it that Bella wasn't giving to Wubs out of her abundance, but instead she was willing to give all that she had, to bless her sister. Our baby girl encouraged me so much with  her sweet little gift!

We are continuing to pray for Bella's salvation, and we praise God for the work He has already done in her heart! I pray that the Lord will continue to develop Bella's desire to share and give to others!
 
 p.s- Guess what? Only one more day and our littlest girl turns f.i.v.e years old! I can't even believe it! Bella invited one of her best friends, Gracie, to stay the night at our house tonight. I'll be sure to post lots of birthday pictures next week!
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."- Proverbs 31:30

1 comment:

  1. Awww sweet Bella. You and David do such a great job teaching your children about giving! I still have that little dog that Wubs gave us, sitting on the book shelf, as a reminder that people are more important than things!

    I see the candy corns on the table! Wish I was there to share them with you!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete