Our Journey Home

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Attitude... whew!

One of our children has been struggling with her attitude. She's displaying this attitude by rolling her eyes, letting out a frustrated sigh (which we call a 'huffy'), and sassy verbal responses. I have to admit- I was shocked when these attitude issues began a few weeks ago! I mean, our girls are little! Isn't this an issue for their teenage years? We have spanked our child for her attitude, I have walked her to a mirror to show her the expression on her face during these 'episodes', I have explained to her that her behavior is disrespectful, etc, etc... but we are continuing to struggle in this area. I'm praying for our precious child and I was hungry for some wisdom in this new, uncharted water of parenting! wink!

This morning, a dear, wise friend counseled me that all these behaviors are explained quite simply: we are daughters of Eve. Our daughter is wrestling with the temptation to give in to her emotions and her desire to be in control. She advised me to continue to pray for our daughter and also be consistent. No more talking about this issue, but discipline (in love) each and every time. And I appreciated this additional nugget of wisdom she shared with me- although I might not outwardly display my own bad attitude, everytime I don't trust the Lord completely with His plans for me, I am actually demonstrating the 'grown up version' of a huffy or eye rolling! Wow. I might have enough self control that I don't stomp my feet when I don't get my way with God, but He knows my heart. Motherhood certainly teaches me a lot about my own sin!

Yesterday the girls went outside to look for ladybugs and play on our deck for a little while. Here are some pictures of Bella, picking flowers and resting on a blanket!



"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and chidlren, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbnads, so that no one will malign the word of God."- Titus 2:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment