Our Journey Home

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Are you Mrs. McNeill?

While we were in South Carolina for Christmas, David and I had the opportunity to enjoy a date night! It is always such a treat to spend time with my wonderful husband, and we had so much fun together! After grabbing a bite to eat, we went bowling. We were having a great time, laughing, talking, and bowling our second game when a teenage girl approached me.
"Are you Mrs. McNeill?" She asked. I was surprised by her question. We haven't lived in South Carolina for years; I can't remember the last time anyone actually recognized me!
"Yes, I am."
"Well, my cousin over there says you were his 3rd grade teacher." She pointed about four bowling lanes down from where we were standing. It was then that I saw one of my former students, all grown up!
"Chamcee!" I hugged my (18 year old) third grader and David shook his hand. It was so unbelievable!
*sidenote* I only taught public school for three years, but that was before we had children- so my students were my babies. I loved each one of them dearly! Chamcee was one my 'babies'!

Chamcee told us all about his family, his plans for college in the fall, and his upcoming high school graduation this June. I couldn't stop smiling as I studied his face- I could still see that little boy who loved treasure box on Friday afternoons! Chamcee shared several fond memories from our classroom and he told me I was his favorite teacher. I'm tearing up now, as I remember that sweet conversation!

David and I returned to our bowling lane and we finished our game. As we were waiting in line to return our shoes, Chamcee came to say good-bye. "Do you think you could wait here for about 5 more minutes? I just called Tevin and he is on his way here to see you." Another one of my third graders, on his way to the bowling alley! Wow! David and I waited and I recognized Tevin the moment he walked in! I cannot even express how blown away I was at this point, standing there with two young men that learned cursive handwriting and multiplication, in my classroom! Again, we shared several memories and hugged and laughed. David even took a picture:

From the left -Chamcee, me, Tevin


I was so thankful that the Lord gave us our date night, and that He allowed us to spend time with two of my former students! And guess what? When Chamcee and Tevin asked us to come to their high school graduation this June, David said we would be there!!! I am so very excited!
"Now it is required that those what have been given a trust must prove faithful."- 1 Corinthians 4:2


1 comment:

  1. What a neat story! You look so little between those two grown men!

    ReplyDelete