Our Journey Home

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

saying no

I picked up JJ's sippy cup and I realized it was empty. I started to refill it with water, when I remembered the fruit punch kool-aid packet in the pantry. Oooh, JJ would LOVE that, I thought to myself. I put his sippy cup on the kitchen  table and I went to get the sugar and kool aid mix. JJ came into the kitchen and tried to take a sip from his empty cup.
"More?" JJ held out his cup, after a failed attempt at a drink.
"Mommy will get you a drink! I'm making you some fruit punch!"
"NO!" JJ replied.
"JJ, don't say 'no' to mama. See?(I held up the kool-aid packet.) Mommy is going to stir it up!"
"NOoOoO!"
I picked up JJ and walked him into his bedroom. "JJ you may not talk to mommy like that. No, no. That is naughty." I left JJ in his crib for a two minute time-out. He didn't even protest his punishment; he knew he shouldn't shout at mommy. As I walked back to the kitchen,  I couldn't help but think this was all so silly! The fruit punch I was trying to serve him was going to be so yummy! I finished making the red drink and headed back to the children's bedroom. JJ greeted me with a big smile.
"Saw yee." JJ has the most adorable apology! It melts my heart every time!
"I forgive you baby." I eagerly recieved several (wet) toddler kisses. wink.
 It was then that the Holy Spirit reminded me:
 
Sometimes, I can be just like JJ.  I don't always want to accept what the Lord is giving to me... even when it is going to be much sweeter than I realize.
 I am too quick to say, "NO!". My heart is being refined and my eyes have been opened to see that I don't trust Him enough.
 I want to be quick to surrender to His will; I want to whole heartedly say, "Thank you, Lord and I trust You."
 I am a work in progress, and I am humbled by the grace and forgiveness that God has given to me.
Oh, I am so thankful for the love of Christ! 
 

 
 
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."- 1 Peter 5:6-7

1 comment: