Our Journey Home

Thursday, September 13, 2012

The new rule

I don't have any siblings. I don't know what it is like to grow up with a little brother, or a big sister. Because I grew up an only child, sometimes I don't understand the dynamics of the relationships among our three children. While our children love eachother deeply, and for the most part, they are the best of friends, there is one thing I simply cannot wrap my brain around.  I can't understand why they seem to enjoy 'bugging' eachother?

After a conversation with a wise friend, I learned a new rule to implement at our house. My friend told me that when her children were little, they had a rule that helped to alleviate the 'bugging'. And guess what? It is working! So, I wanted to share our new rule with you, in case you'd like to try it too! Here it is, our new beautifully simple rule that has proven very effective...
"If it's not fun for everyone, it's. not. fun."

That's it! I taught this to our girls and if they break the rule, there is a consequence. I no longer need to be the referee, trying to figure out who started it! The teasing, the prodding, the irritating- it all falls under the umbrella of this new rule. It is genius, I tell you! wink.

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail."- Lamentations 3:22

No comments:

Post a Comment